[jboss-dev] Small boottime improvement

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 11:45:48 EST 2010

On 02/23/2010 06:13 PM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Brian Stansberry
> <brian.stansberry at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> 2) The ServiceBindingManager config in minimal is just an empty
>> placeholder; in jbossweb-standalone it's the real thing. Putting that
>> one in minimal increases its boot time to ~ 7.2s.
>
> Removing the binding manager is possible, and gave the following performance:
> jbossweb-standalone: 4.5s / 80.5MB
> jbossweb-standalone (no binding manager): 4.0s / 79.1MB
>
> So the startup time gain is there, but memory usage is too high.
> Overall, I don't think dropping the binding manager is a very good
> idea.

SBM configuration should have its own schema[1]. Not sure what effect
that will have on boot time -- maybe good because the MC isn't dealing
with a bunch of beans it doesn't really need to know about; maybe bad as
another new set of xml parsing overhead is added.

Also relevant to the jbossweb-standalone numbers (but not too minimal)
is SBM is doing that XSL transform on server.xml. There's a JIRA to get
rid of that, although I'm not too happy about using system properties to
pass these values. We do it elsewhere though.

[1] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6829
[2] https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7466

--
Brian Stansberry