[jboss-dev] Small boottime improvement

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 19:13:34 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Brian Stansberry
<brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
> I can account for a couple differences between minimal and
> jbossweb-standalone:
>
> 1) conf/jboss-service.xml in minimal does not include this huge addition
> to the server classpath:
>
> <classpath codebase="${jboss.common.lib.url}" archives="*"/>

Ok, I think I could remove some of the JAR from the CL, but far from
everything. So not sure about the net gain here

> Adding that to minimal increases it's startup time for me from ~ 6.4s to
> ~ 6.8s.

It's sort of custom built, so I had to buy it myself. It's pretty cheap though.

> BTW, Dimitris, I want a machine like his 2.6s one. ;-)
>
> 2) The ServiceBindingManager config in minimal is just an empty
> placeholder; in jbossweb-standalone it's the real thing. Putting that
> one in minimal increases its boot time to ~ 7.2s.

Removing the binding manager is possible, and gave the following performance:
jbossweb-standalone: 4.5s / 80.5MB
jbossweb-standalone (no binding manager): 4.0s / 79.1MB

So the startup time gain is there, but memory usage is too high.
Overall, I don't think dropping the binding manager is a very good
idea.

Rémy