[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 15:31:20 EST 2010

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 01/04/2010 07:18 AM, Ales Justin wrote:
>>> Its all AOP,
>> This one is taken care by Kabir.
>>
>>> Classloading (package names),
>> Perhaps Bill you could have a go at this?
>>
>> Basically the solution is trivial, but it's an integration pita.
>> What we need is an explicit packages export; aka jboss-classloading.xml
>> with capabilities.
>
> Why packages?  Why not export/import by module?  Also, the
> jboss-classloading.xml is only a part of a performant solution.  Before we
> consider going to a fully modularized design, we also need to consider a
> way to implement an O(1) module loading system, so that modules are only
> loaded on-demand and any module which is not used is never loaded.
> Otherwise, we'll never be able to scale a "modularized" AS.

I think these on-demand and modularization features should be put on
hold until you get a modern app-server that is consumable by developers.
  I assure you that boot speed and usability (embedability/unit testing)
are 99% more important to developers than on-demand/modularization.

I know we can get development-mode AS booting in < 5 secs (web, ejb, tx
jca, jms, ws, rs).

Bill

--
Bill Burke