[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 10:22:40 EST 2010

On 01/04/2010 07:18 AM, Ales Justin wrote:
>> Its all AOP,
>
> This one is taken care by Kabir.
>
>> Classloading (package names),
>
> Perhaps Bill you could have a go at this?
>
> Basically the solution is trivial, but it's an integration pita.
> What we need is an explicit packages export; aka jboss-classloading.xml
> with capabilities.

Why packages?  Why not export/import by module?  Also, the
jboss-classloading.xml is only a part of a performant solution.  Before we
consider going to a fully modularized design, we also need to consider a
way to implement an O(1) module loading system, so that modules are only
loaded on-demand and any module which is not used is never loaded.
Otherwise, we'll never be able to scale a "modularized" AS.

I tried to catalog requirements for modularization here:
http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/JBossAS6ModularizationRequirements

If the website ever comes back up, please have a look.

> This is already on our TAG todo list -- precise API exposure, OSGi like.

> Perhaps for initial fix, we could add a simple ant/mvn/build-magic task
> that would generate an exposure of all packages via capabilities?
> (what we actually do with that PackagesVisitor)

This isn't going to do anything useful for us other than some classloading
obscurity - modularization is about more than that.  Let's make sure we
address the whole picture before going down this route.

- DML