[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 10:54:23 EST 2010

Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> This is something we're definitely planning.
>>> I once discussed it with Scott what we should support.
>>> Afair, we agreed on supporting both.
>>> But as you can see from SS+OSGi_repo story, this is not as trivial as it
>>> looks.
>>>
>>> Once we have this fully in place, DML's modularization, etc,
>>> we should make sure we can re-use stuff from SS's repo.
>>
>> There's already a osgi maven bundle plugin.  Why not use it?
>>
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
>>
>> Why not use that to generate exported packages?  Just tried it out.
>> Pretty cool.
>>

> Looks like that can handle exporting all packages via a simple wildcard.

You don't even need to do that.  Just put in the plugin with a regular
jar package.

<plugins>
   <plugin>
     <configuration>
       <archive>
          <manifestFile>
${project.build.outputDirectory}/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
          </manifestFile>
       </archive>
     </configuration>
    </plugin>
    <plugin>
      <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
       <version>2.0.1</version>
       <executions>
         <execution>
           <id>bundle-manifest</id>
           <phase>process-classes</phase>
           <goals>
             <goal>manifest</goal>
           </goals>
         </execution>
       </executions>
       </plugin>
     </plugins>

The question is though, does the VFS get bypassed if this is put in?
Because scanning for packages isn't slow once the VFS context is
initialized.  The time is all within initializing the VFS context for
the jar.

Or, is VFS still used for every deployed jar because of subdeployments?

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat