[jboss-dev] AS trunk boot time back to poor?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 12:20:00 EST 2010

On 01/21/2010 10:41 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 10:39 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> On 01/21/2010 09:55 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> Next up, get rid of the 20.6MB of boot.log that's created when this app
>>> is deployed. (Even w/o it, our boot.log was ridiculously big, IIRC>
>>> 7MB.)
>>>
>>> Adding -Djboss.boot.server.log.level=INFO (see [1]) cuts another 4 secs,
>>> down to 40.2.
>>
>> If you also add -Djboss.server.log.threshold=INFO as well (which makes
>> little difference in total output, but filters log messages much
>> sooner), you might gain a couple more seconds (mine went from 44 to 42).
>
> Actually, small correction - I see that boot.server.log.level modifies
> the root logger, not the handler, so my statement is not true - the log
> message is filtered no sooner. This only affects when the final loggers
> take over.

Semi-OT: a couple weeks ago, when boot.log was < 10MB I tried setting
-Djboss.boot.server.log.level=INFO and got very little improvement in
boot time (< 200ms). My take on that is we must have a lot of DEBUG
logging with very expensive message construction not guarded by
isDebugEnabled().

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering