[jboss-dev] Javaee Spec Jars

Jesper Pedersen jpederse at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 13:18:58 EST 2010

Hi.

On Friday 22 January 2010 13:01:05 Paul Gier wrote:
> There was some discussion about naming conventions and svn structure for
>  the javaee api spec projects this morning.  There is also more info in
>  jira [1]. Here is the plan at this point.
>
> GroupId: org.jboss.spec.<sun groupId>
> ArtifactId: <spec name>_<spec version>_spec
> Version: Standard OSGI versions starting with 1.0.0
>
> For example:
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.servlet</groupId>
>    <artifactId>servlet-api_2.5_spec</artifactId>
>    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </dependency>
>
> The structure in svn will look similar to the structure that the geronimo
> project uses for their spec jars [2].  Meaning that each spec version will
>  have a separate trunk and a separate release cycle.

-1

The API should be maintained by their implementing projects. It is up to the
project where the code is maintained.

I want full control over the JCA API, hence moved the development of the JCA
1.6 API to my project. The reasons for this were that is a real PITA to do 600
small releases of the API project while the specification was being developed.

"But after the spec have been released..." you may say - but no. I still want
full control over the release cycle, revisions update and so on. In my case
I'll enhance the API document once we hit the Beta and CR stage in project -
so there will continue to be a lot of updates. And doing a possible once a
month release of the API project will be an unnecessary step in the release
process.

The project will release the API under its own Maven artifact using the
project group id - as the JCA container has a life besides AS.

This case can easily be solved by having javaee depend on svn:external to
other projects if the lead decides to maintain the API code there.

Then rebrand the group id / artifact using a pom.xml in the javaee project.

Best regards,
 Jesper