[jboss-dev] AS trunk boot time back to poor?

Aleksandar Kostadinov akostadi at redhat.com
Sun Jan 24 14:12:52 EST 2010

Rémy Maucherat wrote, On 01/24/2010 08:51 PM (EEST):
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Brian Stansberry
> <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I took a shot at getting deployment of our standard webapps out of the
>> main boot sequence, triggering deployment when a user request comes in
>> instead. That cut 18 seconds out of the "default" config boot. For
>> details, please see http://community.jboss.org/thread/147220 . Feedback
>> appreciated.
>
> You implemented exactly what I thought I would do if I was
> implementing this. But I still hate it. As much as I hate Windows
> delayed - background - on-demand boot compared with my honest Fedora
> boot.

Why hate it? Why load something in memory (and lose time for it) if it
is not going to be used or is only to be used if need arises? Why user
should go disabling stuff manually when user can have them in case he
needs them but not lose time and memory for them when he doesn't? Should
every jboss user know which services are safe to be removed and should
every user spend time to do it?

Also I'm not sure windows use cases are comparable to jboss AS use cases
but that's another topic.