[jboss-dev] Consideration for M3: Embedded APIs into the AS Release Cycle

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Sun Jan 24 17:17:17 EST 2010

I've a proposal for the next iteration of JBAS, 6.0.0.M3.

We originally released "EmbeddedAS"[1] as an extension to JBossAS; that
is, it depends upon JBossAS and is an add-on library.  The reasoning
behind this move was to allow for rapid releases of the Embedded APIs
without waiting on a full JBAS release cycle, and this has always been
intended to be temporary.

However, this:

1) Is confusing to users
2) Creates more boilerplate/setup code to set up the ClassLoading [2]
3) Isn't really proper.  An API to JBAS belongs in JBAS itself.

So I'd like to introduce one or more modules under repos/jbossas/trunk
to account for the AS bootstrap and Embedded APIs.

 From there we can have org.jboss.Main become just another user of the
AS Embedded APIs.

S,
ALR