[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Using WSRP with JBoss Portal 2.4

chris.laprun@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 9 12:00:48 EDT 2006

Concerning the exception, it looks like there might be a problem with the binding framework. Did you put jboss-xml-binding.jar from JBoss XB 1.0.0.CR6 in both the client AND lib directories of your JBoss installation?

"danny_hon" wrote : Julien said we should use the management portlet to create the instance for remote portlet ealier in this thread.  Now you said we couldn't.  I am a little bit confused.  The weather portlet (under samples/src/main/org/jboss/samples/portlet/weather) seems to be just a portlet that retrieve data from web services.  How does it related to WSRP?  Am I looking at the right weather portlet?

Let me try again. Yes, you need to use the management portlet of Portal's admin page to create an instance of the remote portlet, just like you would for any local portlets. Once this is done, you can add the remote portlet to any of your pages, once again, just like any local portlet. However, once the portlet is deployed, and a user gets access to it, it is NOT currently possible to let them configure them if they need to do so. In essence, if the remote portlet needs to be configured individually for each user (because it works with user preferences or properties), the fact that our WSRP does NOT currently support the WSRP Portlet Management interface (which is optional, btw), will prevent your users from being able to customize the remote portlets.

This does NOT prevent you from being able to deploy remote portlets and put them in pages. It's just that it will work better if these portlets don't require end-user customization since this user customization won't be possible.

Is that clearer?

"danny_hon" wrote : What I am looking for is a way to use remote portlets provided by other vendors.  What do I need to do after deploying the *-wsrp.xml file that contains the remote portlet information.

Use the management portlet from Portal's admin page. Select the portlet provider with the same name as the name you put as the producer id in the -wsrp.xml file. You should then see the list of portlets offered by the remote producer. You can then create an instance of any of these portlets and put it in one of your portal page just like you would with locale portlets.

I am working on improving the documentation so that it is clearer. Thanks for your patience in that respect.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3964091#3964091

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3964091