[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Displaying EJBs within JavaScript: what about the EntityMana

SmokingAPipe do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 11 05:18:18 EDT 2006

Here's the scenario: I have a Servlet which uses JNDI to get a stateless session bean.  That stateless session bean has a method like "load" which loads up one of my entities.

So now my Servlet has gotten a hold of its entity bean.  Let's say this entity is an Invoice which contains a List of Items.

Then the Servlet puts that Invoice object into the request as an attribute, and uses JSP to do the display.  The JSP now iterates through the List of Items.

Here's the problem: What if that List of Items hasn't been initialized?  That List might be just a stub.  It needs to get all its Items, and then it needs to get values out of the Items (like price, description, etc).  But by now, there is no more entity manager.

How can these proxies be resolved in a situation like this?  What is the way to handle this?

It seems like a common problem.  I know that back when I was using Hibernate and plain old Tomcat (not within JBoss), I set up a Filter for everything.  The Filter would create a Hibernate Session, load the objects it needed, call doFilter() to actually display everything, and then call session.close() so the session wouldn't be left dangling.

What's the right way to do this within JBoss?  I have a feeling that the answer might be "use Seam", but I don't want to do that at this stage, because a) I have a lot of existing JSPs that I can't rewrite and b) I'm still getting myself comfortable with JBoss / EJB and I don't want to add in yet another technology I need to learn before I can demo this project to customers.

Any thoughts on this?

By the way, using EJBs within JBoss is quite amazing.  I set up my classes, I deploy them, all the tables magically appear, and it is just cool.  So this question is the last barrier I have to being able to use EJBs + JBoss as an effective tool.

Thanks

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3964559#3964559

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3964559