[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - JBossCache as a message oriented middleware?

glozikz do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Dec 3 13:26:46 EST 2006

Hello,

We are working on a distributed Java-based application where processes running in different JVMs need to carry out certain tasks as a response to certain events. One design option is to use a message oriented middleware where processes can publish events and subscribers can choose to listen to them and execute the appropriate actions.

We were thinking about JBossCache instead of a MOM, where the publisher can just change a shared data structure, which is replicated to other processes, and the other processes can choose to listen for changes in the data structure. My question is whether any other JBossCache users can see any problems with this design approach. E.g. not all processes will be interested in all the shared data structures, is it possible for a process to select for which data structures they receive updates to minimise network traffic/memory resource usage? (like subscribing to a topic in a MOM)

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,
Zoltan

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3990819#3990819