[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - VM-Size in Windows task manager increases constantly

ms@camos.de do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 19 04:51:31 EDT 2006

I got a big problem. Please give me some hints how to solve it. I read a lot of threads about it here, but no solution.

My system is:

P IV, 4GB mem (no swap to not delay the problem)
Windows 2003 Server x64
SUN JDK 1.5.0-07 for AMD x64
JBoss 4.04
My own stateful session bean and two servlets of my own

JBoss/JVM parameter:
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -XX:PermSize=150m -XX:NewRatio=3

My problem is:
To stress test my bean I create approximately 600 instances. One hour after the start the windows task manager tells me a VM-Size of 2.5 GB. That?s okay. Visual GC 3.0 tells me the following:

PermSize: 	50MB		(ok)
OldGen:	300MB	(ok) (after 2 collections)
Survivor ½:	130MB	(ok)
Eden:		170MB	(ok)

Everything is okay.

After 30 hours Visual GC:

PermSize: 	50MB		(ok)
OldGen:	300MB	(ok) (after 500 collections)
Survivor ½:	8MB		(interesting, but still ok for me)
Eden:		33MB		(interesting, but still ok for me)

The Problem is now windows task manager for java.exe

MemUsage:		1.6GB		(ok)
PeakMemIsage:	1.6GB		(ok)
VM Size		3.5GB		(and increasing: very big problem)

When VM-Size reaches 3.8GB, java.exe crashes.

IMHO JVM?s internal heaps are okay but there must be an internal error in its memory management. It?s not that I want memory returned to the OS but the JVM should detect a lack of fresh memory and not allocate anymore.

I also think that there is no benefit in changing Xms Xmx Xss (the well known switches). I tried without success.

Is it possible that this is a special problem of the x64 JVM? With 32 Bit I run onto other limitation.

Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3959045#3959045

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3959045