[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: User Input Req for 2.6 Usability and UI enhancements

Frozen4Time do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 25 22:32:25 EDT 2006

I definately realize that the suggestions I made aren't all that easy and would require some redsign in the layout engine.  I guess the point is that I understand the challenges.  Never the less I wanted to make my suggestion.

An AJAX based lyout engine would be really nice, but it doesn't HAVE to be that dynamic.  Even if the layout util has to make a round trip to the server when layout changes are made, that wouls still be nice enough.  This is how EXO works.  Its not AJAX, but when you add a container or portlet, an http request goes to the server and a new page comes back with the additions/modifcations.

This isn't quite as slick as the google editor, but it gets the job done.  Basically, the key being that you are looking at the page while you are making changes to it.

The reason I have been mentioning EXO is because that is what I am currently using for a project.  EXO isn't terribly stable, is a pain to install and hard to pre-configure.  These are the things I love about JBoss portal.  The only real hold up is the layout engine.  The fact that you mention letting users layout their own pages says to me you guys are moving in the right direction since a portal user would expect a simple easy to use layout engine.

I am really trying to champion JBoss portal in my organization and these features would make that task much easier.

Being able to dynamically create any layout you want would be a big benefit, but as you say that would involve being able to cofigure this at runtime which would involve creating a lot of infrastructure as well as changing existing conventions.  That being said I think it would be a great feature.

Anyway thanks for your comments.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3960859#3960859

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3960859