[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - jBPM BPEL: Process Performance and Workload ?

bertrand.njiipwo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 4 12:41:26 EDT 2006

Hallo @all,

I have some questions about performance aspect of BPEL processes running on the jbpm engine.

For background infos: I'm analysing performance prediction of business processes with the jbpm engine. I have found out a mathematical model to
compute and predicte the process execution time  that i can apply on the Messanging service of  jbpm (I'm using jBPM as orchestration engine for BPEL process).

But i still have doubts if i have understand well how the JMS service works in the jbpm context.

The purpose of this mathematical model is to be able to predict the execution time of runnning process instances depending on the arrival rate
of messages in the Process queues(destination)  and depending on how much messages are already in the queue.

But i'm not sure if this approach can be applied wiht the jpbm Messaging service.

Please correct me if i'm wrong:

As soon as the business process run as web service on the jbpm-Engine, clients can connect to the Service by sending SOAP Messages to the
service endpoint. With the JMS API a JMS Session is opened and The soap message is transformed in JMS message and sended to the processqueue.
After processing the request the process instance sends the answer back to the queue attached to the client as JMS Response. The JMS response is
transformed back to SOAP Message and the client becomes the soap response.

I'm a little bit  confused hier with clients requests. Each client request generate a JMS new Session right? It may be possible that in one jms session
more soap messages  are sended.

Is it true that each client request gererates its own JMS Session? If  we have k-clients accessing the service there will be k-destinations(Queues)
generated wright? In this case the message processing time is constant but little bit variable due to the overhead of the jms service
(creating and converting SOAP Messages in JMS messages and managing this). If enought ressource is avialable on the machine how big is the inpact
on performance of maintining k-connnections on the Engine.

I'll appreciate your help in my investigation and any recommendation.

Thanks in advance

Bertrand

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3976089#3976089

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3976089