[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Call an ejb from Servlet in different application

bpet36 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 7 12:35:19 EST 2007

Has anyone been able to successfully call an ejb from a servlet that is deployed in a separate ear file, where both are deployed via JBoss.

I have ServletA that is deployed in app1.ear and EJB1 that is deployed in app2.ear.

I attempt to lookup the ejb from ServletA, but it fails and the following exception is caught
SEVERE: object is not an instance of declaring class
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: object is not an instance of declaring class

java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.jboss.ha.framework.interfaces.HARMIClient.invoke(HARMIClient.java
:258)
        at $Proxy262.lookup(Unknown Source)
        at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:625)
        at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:587)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
        at mil.navy.admacs.DiscoveryManager.discover(DiscoveryManager.java:107)

web.xml for servlet which resides in app2.ear

	<ejb-ref>
	  	<ejb-ref-name>ejb/User/EJB1</ejb-ref-name>
	  	<ejb-ref-type>Session</ejb-ref-type>
	 	com.ssi.ejb.EJB1Home
	  	mil com.ssi.ejb.EJB1
	</ejb-ref>

jboss-web.xml for servlet which resides in app2.ear

	<ejb-ref>
	  	<ejb-ref-name>ejb/User/EJB1</ejb-ref-name>
     		<jndi-name>ejb/User/EJB1</jndi-name>
	</ejb-ref>
ejb-jar.xml file for EJB resides in app1.ear:

            UserBeanSession
            <display-name>UserBeanSession</display-name>
            <ejb-name>UserBean</ejb-name>
             com.ssi.ejb.EJB1Home
             com.ssi.ejb.EJB1
            <ejb-class>com.ssi.ejb.EJB1Session</ejb-class>
<session-type>Stateless</session-type>

Any ideas, thanks in advance!

Bob

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4111298#4111298