[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Is seam-gen really a good idea to learn about seam?

stu2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 3 13:14:01 EDT 2007

I was a complete newbie in January, so have recently followed the path you're on.  I think seam-gen's main benefit is just providing a project structure and correct packaging of a seam app.  The generation stuff was useful for my first test page, but I haven't used it since.  It's much better to just create things by hand, especially since seam apps tend to be code-light.

I did find the book useful.  I picked up a rough cut from Oreilly's safari, and read it straight through.  It's a little dated (seam development is moving FAST), but is a much gentler introduction than the docs.  Docs become extremely useful once you get the core concepts.

Beyond that, I've found that the breadth of example apps included to be tremendously helpful.  When I'm not sure how to do something, I often grep through the example source to see where whatever-it-is is being used.  The wiki in particular elegantly implements some non-trivial functionality.  Lots to be learned from looking at others' code.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4042918#4042918

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4042918