[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: While Seam is great, is any weakness of this framework?

Delphi's Ghost do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 3 13:31:00 EDT 2007

Regarding packaging, I started with Netbeans, and built the whole ear/jar/war project structure, and built it from scratch (obviously utilizing the documentation and examples, and a couple of posts from Netbeans bloggers) and it went pretty well and I'm fairly new at Java. I think it is very documented in the reference manual, there is just no step-by-step, but every step needed is included in the reference guide somewhere, from directory structure to config file contents.

My problem with Seam-gen comes from the fact that projects get ugly in eclipse with jar files everywhere and folders strewn about, or not displayed at all in Netbeans.  This is partly due to the loose nature of Java projects held together with a build script I guess.
I'd love to see an option in seam gen where you choose an IDE and it generates the project based on the IDE chosen as opposed to trying to shoehorn the IDE structure over the seam-gen structure.

IMO, the only benefit seam-gen really gets you is the hot-deploy since deploying on html changes sucks. If it weren't for that, I'd be using my own project strucutre in Netbeans with a nice neat organizer project. However, for a new project, I'd start by using seam-gen and then cannibalizing the generated project for the config files.

Another aspect is that given the Exadel partnership, the formal seam/jboss path will be Eclipse only which again, sucks for Netbeans users. Of course if you love Eclipse, this won't be a problem. I just happen to prefer Netbeans over Eclipse.

One thing I did run into was the issue of modularizing EJB jars, which didn't seem to go down too well. I didn't delve very far into it, and this is from memory, but I recall things got messed up if I had 2 jar projects in the ear when it came to deployment. It may have been the fact that the 2 jars contained Entity beans that needed registration with Seam/hibernate.
I'm not sure how you go about developing with and using multiple jar files with seam gen, which may be another issue. Someone with more experience may be able to offer an answer on that one.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4042923#4042923

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4042923