[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Data access / persistence - could you help?

JohnnyTheHun do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Nov 22 11:39:08 EST 2007

I am setting up a JBoss Portal for evaluation purposes at my company.

I am new to JBoss, Portal, Hibernate and more or less to the J2EE scene too.

I am reading documentation whenever I can, if I run into something and I know where to find the docs.

I have set up the new bundle, wrote a few simple portlets, tested IPC.

I want to do the following - please tell me if I'm on the wrong track:

I am creating two portlets:

SelectDocument portlet show a list of documents the user can select. It gets the list from an underlying database.

ShowDocument portlet listens for selection at SelectDocument and displays the selected document content from the underlying database.

I have got stuck on how to access the underlying database, what API to use, what docs to read. JDBC, Hibernate, EJB3 persistence etc. I need the simplest and minimal resource consuming (there might be a lot of users accessing the page at a time - Connection pooling, caching would be handy) solution.

I will have no problem if someone just gives me a hint at where to start (concerning data access, not j2ee principles) - I tried HibernateUtil.getSession(jndiname), but didn't find the jar that contains HibernateUtil.

Thank you

John

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4107149#4107149

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4107149