[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam 2.0.0.CR2: lib jars have lost their versions

pete.muir@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 5 17:43:23 EDT 2007

So this raises a question on which feedback would be good:

Currently when we create the Seam distribution, we grab all the dependencies and shove them in all in lib/.  This has a number of drawbacks

1) Not good for using inside examples (which will soon declare their dependencies through maven

2) Not good for the seam-gen if we decide to use more maven in it

3) Harder to do things like provide example only downloads or downloads without libraries

So, my proposal is that instead of providing a lib directory with loads of thirdparty libraries in it we provide an ant target [1] which will assemble a lib directory [2]. So after downloading the zip, you would run (for example):

ant assemble-libs

Drawback? A little more complex for those who just want to use plain ant.

What do you all think?

[1] If you download "seam-all.zip" you will still have all the required libraries on your machine inside the distribution, just in a mavenized structure.  Otherwise this task would reach out to the net/your local maven cache to get the necessary jars.

[2] There could easily be alternative tasks to assemble the libraries with and without version suffixes.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4092206#4092206

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4092206