[jboss-user] Help with JNDI datasource for JPA?

David C. Hicks dhicks at i-hicks.org
Tue Dec 9 15:04:29 EST 2008

I'm trying to set up a JNDI datasource that will be used by a JPA
application.  Everything seems to go along fine until the JPA system
attempts to find the name to bind to.  Then I get the following exception:

13:41:11,144 ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to Start:
name=persistence.unit:unitName=#punit state=Create
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: env not bound

Here is my JNDI datasource definition:
(I'm setting up the name as a "comp/env" in an attempt to be compatible
with Jetty for development purposes.  If there's a better way, I'm all
ears.)
<datasources>
    <local-tx-datasource>
        <jndi-name>comp/env/salient/dataSource</jndi-name>
        <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/xxx</connection-url>
        <driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
        <user-name>xxx</user-name>
        <password>xxx</password>
        <connection-property name="autoReconnect">true</connection-property>
    </local-tx-datasource>
</datasources>

Here is my persistence unit definition for JPA:

    <persistence-unit name="punit">
        <jta-data-source>java:comp/env/salient/dataSource</jta-data-source>
    </persistence-unit>

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave