[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Trying to increase performance, doesn't seem to be CPU or DB

jamicide do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 23 22:15:14 EDT 2008

Hello

I am trying to maximize the performance/thoroughput of my JBossAS.

Currently my server processes approximately 60 external requests per second. At this rate CPU usage is at ~50% usage, memory is at ~35% and the load on the DB machine is similar.

I have tried fiddling with various parameters of the system, namely the JMS threadpool size (all requests are placed on the JMS queue) and the JMS connection pool size. The modifications I make only seem to have a minor effect on the system's performance, and even setting the pool settings to very high values doesn't result in a much different operation. The system loads never goes higher than what I mentioned above.

Are there settings which I could change in addition (or in place of) those I mentioned to get the desired results? Is there potentially another bottleneck (local secondary storage, network, etc.) that could cause this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Server specs:

jboss-4.2.2.GA
Dual-Quad Core System, 4G ram