[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: integration with JBoss Rules engine?

umquat do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 8 10:19:45 EDT 2008

"mpopova" wrote : Great, thanks a lot for the answer.
  | I just want to clarify one thing: so, basically, you are saying that it is possible to modify the workflow process definition at run time, yes?
  |
  | Indeed, this is exactly what I am looking for - to be able, at any point in the execution of one process instance , to modify the rest of the workflow process instance based on the input from , for example, a rule engine.
  |
  | A good example of this functionality is an Out-Of-Office rule - at each approval step (process node), before sending a notification for approval to the approver, check whether he is out of office, and if so - replace this approver with a new one and possibly modify the rest of the approval chain as well.
  |
  | Thanks
  | Marina

I'm learning jBPM but I'm interested in drools as well. This question got me thinking: Why would you want to modify a workflow definition at runtime?

The out-of-office rule seems overkill to me. Why not assign a given task to a group of users, so that anyone could "pick" this task up and execute, instead of going through hoops to check if one given user is in the office or not?

Maybe a better approach would be to define a bigger, more robust workflow?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4149468#4149468

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4149468