[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Re: JConsole / jmxremote connection problems

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Nov 12 15:41:39 EST 2008

Here are my latest findings. First, I have to state that earlier I was working from my office, but now I am working at home so things are different.

At home, if I run the app server on Windows, I can connect using JConsole on another Windows machine. But I cannot connect running JConsole on Linux. If I run theapp server on Linux, I cannot connect running JConsole from either another Linux or Windows system.

In all cases (Windows or linx), I can always connect when running JConsole on the same system as JBossAS and using ip-number:12345 as the connection string. (12345 is the port number from your earlier post)

Also, in all cases, from a remote system, whether Linux or Windows, I can always get telnet to connect using "telnet ip-number 12345". This tells me that the port is open (trying "telnet ip-number 12346" gets a connection error).

I wrote a simple hello world app that waits for a name to be input. I ran this app with the same jmx settings and was able to connect using JConsole, regardless of what system was running the hello world app, and regardless of where JConsole was running. Example: ran the app on Linux, successfully connected running JConsole on a remote Linux and Windows system.

I then tried Tomcat 6.0.18 and had the same success. JConsole always successfully connect to the JVM on the remote system running Tomcat.

I then tried JBoss AS 4.0.5, 4.2.3, and 5.0.0.CR1,  and could not establish a remote connection unless both JBossAS and JConsole were running on Windows.

I am now convinced that there is something about JBossAS that is causing this issue. I just had a thought. Let me check it out and I will be back.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4188925#4188925

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4188925