[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: performance limits of jbpm

roschmel do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 6 08:08:06 EST 2009

Do you refer to the new GWT Console? - I tested it in 3.3.0 and it was not really finished by then....

Logging:
I would like to solve two issues - 1) the log service is just to slow - its the main perfomance bottleneck of the enigne - 2) Is unsafe becuase it does not log when something goes wrong.

To have really good logs after a crash you must log you stuff (nearly) immidieatly to a persistent store. Otherwise when you pull the plug out of your server you have now idea what you already have done.

Additionally when you want to now that your database has a problem  - then you might not be able to log this to the database.

Conclusion:
Really good logs must be written nearly immediatily to an extremly high available store ( - the local file system).

So I try to write the logs and the process hisotry using log4j and its MDC to the file system. From their you can transfer it to the database or you can direclty configure a JDBC Appender within log4j to write it to the db. Then you would need to look at the files just in case the db was unavailable.

The main problem is that this does not work without patching jBPM. The LoggingInstance is hardcoeded in the ProcessInstance and the logging service only gets called at the end of execution. This is were I am stuck at the moment. I would need a way to configure the LoggingInstance just like the Services.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4207703#4207703

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4207703