[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: trim whitespace at jsp

apemberton do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 5 15:35:52 EST 2009

JBoss Portal 2.7 uses JBoss AS 4.2.3, which in turn uses Tomcat 5.5 under the covers as the servlet engine.

Tomcat 5.5 is Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0 compatible, so you can't use the JSP 2.1 trimDirectiveWhiteSpaces feature.

You can, however, use the trimSpaces init-param per http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/trim_spaces_in_your_jsp

One warning: you may run into issues where white space is trimmed a bit further than you may be expecting. For example, two <c:out /> tags in a row may not have a space between them.

As for bang for your buck, I'd recommend looking into GZipping your portal page requests - which may save more bandwidth than trimspaces in your environment.

I plan on writing a blog article in the next weeks discussing some of these Portal-tier performance tuning tips.

Good luck!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4215472#4215472

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4215472