[jboss-user] [Security] - Re: NullPointerException @ DatabaseServerLoginModule.java:14

mactex do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 10 08:29:53 EDT 2009

I get exactly the same error message when trying to use the Databaseserver loginmodule. I use JBoss 4.2.3.  In the log there is the following:

javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: java.lang.NullPointerException
  | 	at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.DatabaseServerLoginModule.getUsersPassword(DatabaseServerLoginModule.java:141)
  | 	at org.jboss.security.auth.spi.UsernamePasswordLoginModule.login(UsernamePasswordLoginModule.java:206)

It seems from the source file, that the Datasource returned is null. It's the following source in the login module:

  |          DataSource ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup(dsJndiName);
  |          conn = ds.getConnection();

I configured everything from the documentation.
login-config.xml:
    <application-policy name = "nedbDbLogin">
  |         <authentication>
  |             <login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.DatabaseServerLoginModule"
  |                              flag="required">
  |                 <module-option name="dsJndiName">java:jdbc/bavnedb</module-option>
  |                 <!--<module-option name="hashAlgorithm">MD5</module-option>
  |                 <module-option name="hashEncoding">base64</module-option> -->
  |                 <module-option name="principalsQuery">
  |                     select password from USER where LOGIN_ID=?</module-option>
  |                 <module-option name="rolesQuery">
  |                     select 'Nedb_User', 'Roles' from USER where LOGIN_ID=?</module-option>
  |             </login-module>
  |         </authentication>
  |     </application-policy>

jboss-web.xml:

  | <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  | <jboss-web>
  | <security-domain>java:/jaas/nedbDbLogin</security-domain>
  | </jboss-web>

The code for the programmatic login:

  | UsernamePasswordHandler handler = new UsernamePasswordHandler(userId, password);
  |
  | 			LoginContext loginContext = new LoginContext(LOGIN_CONTEXT,
  | 					(CallbackHandler) handler);
  | 			loginContext.login();

Do you have any idea what can be wrong?

Thanks in advance