[jboss-user] [jBPM] - JBPM 4.3 - org.jbpm.api.JbpmException: couldn't acquire block of ids

Stefano Campanini do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Apr 28 03:27:52 EDT 2010

Stefano Campanini [http://community.jboss.org/people/campa] replied to the discussion

"JBPM 4.3 - org.jbpm.api.JbpmException: couldn't acquire block of ids"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/539938#539938

 http://community.jboss.org/people/rebody Huisheng "And using sequence is the previous way of jBPM4 using.  It changed to use JBPM4_PROPERTY since jBPM-4.2."

Why jbpm not use hibernate id generators declared in hbm mapping files or using annotations ? My modest suggestion to get jbpm better is to use a hibernate built in portable generator as default (es. no sequence, ..) and permit the user to overwrite it with other hibernate built in generators.
See below here for hibernate supported built in generators (  http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.3/reference/en/html/mapping.html#mapping-declaration-id http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.3/reference/en/html/mapping.html#mapping-declaration-id )

 http://community.jboss.org/people/rebody Huisheng "By the way, some days earlier, you said you will use drools flow instead.  I don't know much about it.  Did it powerful?  Did it easy to use?"

Yes I have found it is more easy to use and setup than jbpm. Also for some aspects more advanced in functionality.
And as Developer I liked the complete maven management of the project sources only because We use maven in place of ant. Having dev environment working with svn sources, unit tests and so on .. is very simple.
I found Jbpm dev env not so easy to setup:  I tried to run jbpm sources tests using my new sequenceDatabaseGenerator , but the switch to postgresql does not work out of box ... also some maven dependencies needs to manual managed: I remember gpd and oracle driver (also I want to test against postgresql) ... more or less 2 hours without results .. also reading instructions.

The missing feature that do not fit in our needs of drools flow, was the fact that seems not easy to navigate the process (graph) using api, for example asking the next outgoing transitions...
We need to present on GUI buttons to the users for go next on one branch or another of the process definitions ... I think this limits born on the fact that drools flow is rule based ... not graph based. Also Human task needs Apache Mina opening another tcp port and so on ...

These are some advantages and disadvantages I have found in an evaluation that last 3-4 days on jbpm and drools flow, integrating in our product that is spring based. Sure having much time going deeply these opinions can be changed  ...

( Sorry for may bad English !! )

Bye
Stefano