[jboss-user] [jBPM] - jBpm 4.3 service task has no optional args?

Tim S do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 25 18:00:35 EDT 2010

Tim S [http://community.jboss.org/people/tstephen] replied to the discussion

"jBpm 4.3 service task has no optional args?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/559043#559043

Thanks for the reply. I did upgrade to 4.4 and after a little  head-scratching I realised I was encountering JBPM-2830. Your patch  restored my application built on 4.3 to the point that I can start and  list process instances so I'm hoping it is agreed to restore the  previous behaviour.

I tried again to call a Java Service Task with an arg that is not populated at the time the service task is invoked:
    <itemDefinition id="registerUserItemDef" >
         <jbpm:arg>
             <jbpm:object expr="#{user}" />
         </jbpm:arg>
         <jbpm:arg>
             <jbpm:object expr="#{groups}" />
         </jbpm:arg>
     </itemDefinition>
    <operation id="registerUser" name="registerUser">

and this time I get a different error:
  org.jbpm.pvm.internal.wire.WireException: couldn't invoke  method registerUser: couldn't create argument 1: Cannot resolve  identifier 'groups'
       at org.jbpm.bpmn.flownodes.JavaServiceTaskActivity.perform(JavaServiceTaskActivity.java:92)

Once again, creating a variable named groups allows the service task to be invoked successfully.
Tim