[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] New message: "JBoss 5.1 -> 4.2 compatibility: javax.naming.Reference cannot be cast to javax.jms.Queue"

Michał Borowiecki do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Feb 23 11:57:47 EST 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "JBoss 5.1 -> 4.2 compatibility: javax.naming.Reference cannot be cast to javax.jms.Queue":

http://community.jboss.org/message/527976#527976

Author  : Michał Borowiecki
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/mihbor

Message:
Hi,

We're trying to to lookup a JMS Queue that resides on JBoss-4.2.2 from an ear deployed in JBoss 5.1.0 (specifically sar packaged inside and ear)
We are getting:

java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.naming.Reference cannot be cast to javax.jms.Queue
        at pl.bluepay.utils.jms.MDBUtil.getQueue(MDBUtil.java:56)

I understand this is related to incompatible changes in the client libs between the versions.
We tried putting jbossall-client.jar from JBoss-4.2.2 inside the ear (classloader isolation is enabled in the ear-deployer), and referenced it from the sar's MANIFEST file, but this caused the thread to hang.

Does anybody know a solution?