[jboss-user] [JNDI and Naming] New message: "JBOSS AS 4.2.2 throws org.jboss.util.NestedSQLException: No ManagedConnections available within configured blocking timeout ..."

Krishna Saranathan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Mar 15 07:05:59 EDT 2010

User development,

A new message was posted in the thread "JBOSS AS 4.2.2 throws org.jboss.util.NestedSQLException: No ManagedConnections available within configured blocking timeout ...":

http://community.jboss.org/message/531967#531967

Author  : Krishna Saranathan
Profile : http://community.jboss.org/people/krishnapsg_1984

Message:
Hi

I am having java 1.5.0 SE webservice client application which is running in a independent JVM, outside JBOSS AS 4.2.2 JVM, but makes use of JBOSS managed db connection pool by accessing datasource xml through jndi naming lookup via jnp url.

I am frequently hitting with this exception, atleast once in a day in a production setup. Even after searching through internet for every possible details, I could not find any resolution.

*org.jboss.util.NestedSQLException: No ManagedConnections  available within configured blocking timeout ( 120000 [ms] ); - nested  throwable: (javax.resource.ResourceException: No ManagedConnections  available within configured blocking timeout ( 120000 [ms] ))*

and need to restart the jboss AS to resolve this issue.

After thorough code review also, I could not find any unused db connection objects which are not closed.

I: This is how i am getting db connection from java 1.5 SE:
public Connection getConnection(String logID) throws Exception {
        DataSource ds = null;
        Connection conn = null;

        // Create the initial context
        Hashtable<String,String> h = new Hashtable<String,String>();
        h.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,"org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
        h.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, JNP_SERVER_HOST);
        Context ic = new InitialContext(h);

        ds = (DataSource) ic.lookup("NPSIGDS");
        if (ds!=null) {

            // Create the connection
            conn = ds.getConnection();
            if(conn!=null) {
                // Set the auto commit to false
                conn.setAutoCommit(false);
            } else {
                logger.logMessage(logID, null, NPLogLevels.SEVERITY_ERROR, NPModuleNames.MODULE_NP_SIG, "DBConnectionManager:: getConnection():: Unable to create DB Connection");
                throw new Exception("Unable to create DB connection");
            }
        } else {
            logger.logMessage(logID, null, NPLogLevels.SEVERITY_ERROR, NPModuleNames.MODULE_NP_SIG, "DBConnectionManager:: getConnection():: Failed to lookup for data source");
        }
        return conn;
    }

II: And in each method where i getting db connection, i am closing the db objects in finally block:
finally {
            try {
                if (rs != null) {
                    rs.close();
                    rs = null;
                }
                if (pstmt != null) {
                    pstmt.close();
                    pstmt = null;
                }
                if (conn != null) {
                    conn.close();
                    conn = null;
                }
            }

III: Following values are put in  the data source xml which i am using:

<min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>
<max-pool-size>50</max-pool-size>
<idle-timeout-minutes>1</idle-timeout-minutes>
<prepared-statement-cache-size>32</prepared-statement-cache-size>

IV: I tried to debug by <track-statements>true</track-statements> in data source xml. And I got some exception stack trace mentioning unclosed result set and statement objects. But the exception stack trace is not having the pointer to the actual java source code.
Is this jboss limitation for standalone JAVA SE application?

Pls provide your inputs on the issues and if there any suggestions, on how to resolve this.

Thanks!