[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: Full Garbage Collection every few seconds – GC frees very little memory (JBoss 4.2.3 with JDK 1.5.0 64-bit)

Wolf-Dieter Fink do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 19 12:01:40 EST 2010

Wolf-Dieter Fink [http://community.jboss.org/people/wdfink] created the discussion

"Re: Full Garbage Collection every few seconds – GC frees very little memory (JBoss 4.2.3 with JDK 1.5.0 64-bit)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/572018#572018

I start the JVM always with GC logfile, it will help often to see problems in production.
There is a nice GUI to analyse it  http://www.tagtraum.com/gcviewer.html http://www.tagtraum.com/gcviewer.html

If there is no application memory leak you might check whether a different strategy of GC help.
For our application we switch to CMS with :
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycleMin=0 -XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycle=10 -XX:NewRatio=1 -XX:SurvivorRatio=20

Also in this case we set the YoungGen=1400M and OldGen=600M to ensure that the old generation must never have an full-gc, all objects are dead before moved to ldGen.

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]