[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: Full Garbage Collection every few seconds – GC frees very little memory (JBoss 4.2.3 with JDK 1.5.0 64-bit)

Constantine Pinakoulakis do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 22 17:33:24 EST 2010

Constantine Pinakoulakis [http://community.jboss.org/people/kopin] created the discussion

"Re: Full Garbage Collection every few seconds – GC frees very little memory (JBoss 4.2.3 with JDK 1.5.0 64-bit)"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/572268#572268

Just a quick update :

I set NewRatio=3 and total GC time on the application server is now about 30% less than before.

The JVM performs more minor GCs (which was something to be expected, since the new generation now has less heap space), but the total minor GC time has not increased.  Also, it performs much fewer major GCs, and while the time for each full GC is a little longer than before (which was also expected, since the heap space allocated to the old generation has increased), the overall time spent in major GCs is less.

So it looks like this setting did do some good.  I still don't know whether the original problem (full GCs all the time) will reappear, but will post again when I have something of interest to report.

Thanks again.
C.

Start a new discussion in Performance Tuning at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2078]