[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Re: External form rendering & accessing variables

Maciej Swiderski do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 10 12:44:19 EDT 2011

Maciej Swiderski [http://community.jboss.org/people/swiderski.maciej] created the discussion

"Re: External form rendering & accessing variables"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/620428#620428

> michael gantenbein wrote:
>
> I see, I can define variables with e.g. task scope in the designer, but how to access them? I think I could use that for my external form rendering. Means I read a task-scoped variable 'formName' to decide, which JSF page is associated with the current task.
That depends on what work item handler you use for human tasks. If you use default WSHumanTaskHandler, it checks if there is "Content" variable present for the task and if so it is used as task variables that are sent to TaskService as ContentData. If it does not exist it gets all properties available for the task instead.
That means that all that data are stored in TaskService and its data base. So to get access to it, you would need to look the task up in TaskService and then access its content data.

To be inline with BPMN2 spec user task (human task) should have rendering element (extension point in BPMN2) for rendering specific information. Because having form information as variable is more like injecting execution specific data as process data, which is not the best practice, in my opinion. Unfortunately looks like the only option for now.