[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Prioritization of process instances

Fernando Ney do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Aug 13 17:03:28 EDT 2011

Fernando Ney [http://community.jboss.org/people/fernando.ney] created the discussion

"Prioritization of process instances"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/620945#620945

Hi,
     We have a project where we need a BPM engine but we have 2 characteristics that need be supported. To illustrate consider a process with the following definition: Process1: Activity1 -> Activity2 -> Activity3 -> Activity4.

1 - We need to prioritize some instances of the process. For example, imagine that we have 1000 instances but five of these instances have a higher priority, therefore, the activities of these instances should be executed first.

2 - Some types of activities should not have more than a maximum number of executions in parallel. For example, the Activity2 should have a maximum of 3 instances running at the same time ant Activity3 a maximum of 25. This restriction is necessary because our application is OLTP and some types of activities cause a huge load on the database.

     jBPM supports these features? Is there any workaround to meet these requirements? You have any suggestions on how to implement this in jBPM?

     We have a team with a lot of experience developing high performance Java applications, but we don't have enough experience with jBPM, our goal is to share with the community a solution that meets these requirements.