[jboss-user] [jBPM] - StatefulKnowledgeSession management

Zeliang Huang do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 21 04:57:09 EST 2011

Zeliang Huang [http://community.jboss.org/people/ossa] created the discussion

"StatefulKnowledgeSession management"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/637453#637453

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding StatefulKnowledgeSession.

I had created a class MyContextListener that extends the ServletContextListener.
This MyContextListener.java will do things like starting Mina and creating a new StatefulKnowledgeSession and not disposing it. When server starts up, I am assured that Mina server is up and there is one session active. This session is re-used for all subsequent communication with the Engine.

1. Should I reuse the session for all communication with the engine?
Any other way of managing the session for better performance? From what I had tried, there ought to be at least one active session at anytime so that Human Tasks can be completed successfully.

2. When do I need to use JPAKnowledgeService.loadStatefulKnowledgeSession
As I am creating a new Session when the server restarts up, no previous session was actually loaded. However old process instances still flow. I don't have any rules in the process map. Is that the reason why I don't need to load a previous session in order to continue the instance? Or I am missing something by not loading the previous Session?

Any advice is welcome !