[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Change a Timer length/period at runtime possible?

Ryan Peterson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 25 18:59:29 EDT 2011

Ryan Peterson [http://community.jboss.org/people/rrpeterson] created the discussion

"Change a Timer length/period at runtime possible?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/633576#633576

Hi guys,

I'm working on allowing updating of processes.  I've got things mostly working thanks to the examples given by the documentation.  Here's an example of my test:

Old Process:
 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-633576-17226/oldProcess.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-633576-17226/450-238/oldProcess.png

New Process:
 http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-633576-17227/newProcess.png  http://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-633576-17227/450-178/newProcess.png
As you can tell, the new process simply adds an additional email where only the timer existed before.  I disconnect the processInstance, update the node instance IDs, and set the new process definition onto the old processInstance.

The new email gets sent, and execution continues to the new timer and eventually to the end state node.  The only trouble I'm having is the time defined for the original timer must elapse before execution continues to the next newly defined node.  Is it possible to change this timer's duration during the processInstance disconnect() (while I'm re-assigning the nodeInstance Ids)?

If not, is there a way to tell the engine to skip over the previous NodeInstance rather than continuing to fire it?

Thanks for any suggestions!