[jboss-user] [jBPM] - BPMN Timers - threads and persistence

M Arnold do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 15 07:57:40 EDT 2012

M Arnold [https://community.jboss.org/people/m_arnold123] created the discussion

"BPMN Timers - threads and persistence"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/753768#753768

I have a problem using BPMN2 Timers with jBPM 5.3.  I can't see how to resolve my problem, so looking for help from the community...

I have read: jBPM5 timers and persistence  https://community.jboss.org/thread/164992 https://community.jboss.org/thread/164992 and the bug  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3170 https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3170 , which closed as not a bug, but doesn't seem to provide or refer to a full solution.

I am using jBPM5 deployed in a 4 node JBoss AS 5.1 cluster, used from an EJB 3 application.  We handle about 100K new process instances per day, bursting at 20 per second.  We want to use BPMN2 Timers to make our processes wait for durations from a couple of seconds to a couple of months.

1.  If I have a 1 million process instances waiting for timers, jBPM surely won't create 1 million threads all sleeping until their timeout? This is obviously not scalable.

2. Does jBPM ever create, join or synchronise threads?  As we are using jBPM in an application server, I am worried about it performing its own thread management.

3. Until now, we have been disposing and reloading StatefulKnowledgeSession as our processes execute.  I understand this will prevent the timers from firing.  Instead I should never dispose sessions and reload sessions when the application server starts?  How do I know which sessions may be waiting for timers in order to know which to reload?

4. Do events (for BPMN2 receive and catch) also require the session to not be disposed in the same way as timers?

Thanks for any help.  Basically I'm trying to get jBPM to work well with JBoss in a scalable way...