[jbosscache-dev] Distributed locking in JBC

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Mon Mar 12 12:53:44 EDT 2007

Guys,

Is this something we want to implement in JBoss Cache in some shape
or form, at some stage?

I agree that here are scalability issues with such a feature, but is
it not fair comment to say that there are use cases where this is
critical, our competitors have this in some shape, and it may be a
good idea to offer it?

Specifically looking at a recent support case where each node in a
cluster would, within the scope of a tx, read from the cache,
increment the value read, and replace the value in the cache.  So a
write-mostly scenario here.  And this would, when used with
SYNC_REPL, inevitably deadlock after some while.

Also, two of our most high-profile competitors - Tangosol and
Terracotta - both have some form of distributed locking.  Each one
implemented differently, but it is there all the same.

My question is, is this something we want to start thinking about?

Cheers,

Email: manik at jboss.org
Telephone: +44 7786 702 706
MSN: manik at surtani.org