[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 17:53:58 EST 2009

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> Option 2 makes me nervous. Two separate communication frameworks,
>>> added dependencies, opening new sockets etc. Sounds like integration
>>> hassles for sure.
>>>

>> Yes there are definitely integration hassles that make this option
>> less desirable than the first.
>>
>>  From a dependency perspective, we are already using non-jgroups p2p
>> with TCPCacheServer (currently Java sockets based), although I believe
>> Manik was evaluating xnio for it since it would simplify development.
>> While it is an added dep for JBC, it will eventually be part of AS,
>> since Remoting 3 depends on it.
>
> Yeah, that's part of the concern. Two otherwise independent projects
> using an underlying library for a critical function and both have to
> play nice in the AS.  In my self-centered viewpoint TcpCacheServer isn't
> a critical function since I don't use it. ;) (Mostly kidding here; I
> recognize that AS users may use it so it would need to work in the AS.)
>
> BTW, is a *JGroups* streaming API necessary here?  The old AS Farm
> service passed arbitrary sized files by sending byte[] chunks via
> RpcDispatcher calls. Worked fine. That's not quite what JBC would need,
> since FarmService read a chunk from a FileInputStream and passed it to
> JGroups; you'd want an OutputStream impl that would pass a chunk to
> JGroups when it's internal buffer reached size X.

Their could be an abstraction in JBC that does this, however we are
still missing the piece that says this message needs to go across a
separate p2p tcp connection. Otherwise state transfer traffic will
compete with live standard operations. This problem is amplified when we
have multiple state transfers going on.

I suppose we could dynamically create a new JGroups channel for this,
but it seems like a lot of overhead for a single p2p connection.

--
Jason T. Greene