[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Bela Ban bela at jboss.com
Wed Jan 7 03:10:44 EST 2009

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> BTW, is a *JGroups* streaming API necessary here?  The old AS Farm
> service passed arbitrary sized files by sending byte[] chunks via
> RpcDispatcher calls. Worked fine. That's not quite what JBC would
> need, since FarmService read a chunk from a FileInputStream and passed
> it to JGroups; you'd want an OutputStream impl that would pass a chunk
> to JGroups when it's internal buffer reached size X.

+1.

On the side: I know a <big unnamed company> uses streaming state
transfer to do this. Not really the way it was designed for, but it
works well for them.
Here's the link:
http://www.nabble.com/Streaming-Message-Transfer---td14476343.html. The
3rd posting from the top describes their approach.

I still think though that JBC implementing this via chunks would be the
better solution.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team