[jbosscache-dev] Re: Non Blocking State Transfer Status (& Integration with JGroups)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 12:59:41 EST 2009

Bela Ban wrote:

> Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> BTW, is a *JGroups* streaming API necessary here?  The old AS Farm
>> service passed arbitrary sized files by sending byte[] chunks via
>> RpcDispatcher calls. Worked fine. That's not quite what JBC would
>> need, since FarmService read a chunk from a FileInputStream and passed
>> it to JGroups; you'd want an OutputStream impl that would pass a chunk
>> to JGroups when it's internal buffer reached size X.
>
> +1.
>
> On the side: I know a <big unnamed company> uses streaming state
> transfer to do this. Not really the way it was designed for, but it
> works well for them.
> Here's the link:
> http://www.nabble.com/Streaming-Message-Transfer---td14476343.html. The
> 3rd posting from the top describes their approach.
>
> I still think though that JBC implementing this via chunks would be the
> better solution.

So there does appear to be a common need for sending a large stream to
members in the group. JBC needs it, Streaming State Transfer needs it,
Farming needs it, and at least one customer needs. The question is,
should jgroups support the capability at its core, or should such use
cases use a p2p framework.

Chunking over a messaging api will work, but it is definitely not the
optimal approach. It is probably good enough. However, i suspect it
becomes a problem when people have gigs of data to send.

--
Jason T. Greene