[jbossdeveloper] <repository /> on quickstarts pom.xml

Rafael Benevides benevides at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 08:50:08 EDT 2014

Hi all,

On a look for a continuous improvement on developer user experience and
also because we have been constantly asked to support issues related to
the setup of https://access.redhat.com/maven-repository to make the
quickstarts work, we want to include the <repository /> definition on
quickstarts pom.xml

Actually the Archetypes already have the <repository /> on the pom.xml
file of the generated project.

The idea here is to have the <repository /> with the
https://maven.repository.redhat.com/techpreview/all/ defined on every
quickstarts's pom.xml file with a comment on top of it saying that this
approach is not recommended but we included it so users can test the
quickstarts without further setup and that it's recommended to use
settings.xml.

It will bring the following advantages:
- It will make ease to contributors and users
- Simplify the build.
- Simplify the Archetype synch process / No need to inject the repo
since it will come from the Quickstarts
- We can add a pre-defined comment above the pom.xml repository
definition to explain that we don't recommend that.
- We can also add this "comment" to QSTools to check/fix it.

As a roadmap for it:
- We need to document that at the
https://github.com/jboss-developer/jboss-developer-shared-resources
- We need to update the contributing guides
- We need to update QSTools to do this update on all quickstarts for us.

Max, Is there any restrictions on JBDS side ?

Anyone else have any objections/comments on this $subject ?

Thanks
--

*Rafael Benevides | Senior Software Engineer*
JBoss Developer

Red Hat

See how it works at www.redhat.com <http://www.redhat.com/>

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/3258288> Youtube