[jbosstools-dev] Freemarker functionality in Eclipse?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 03:57:28 EDT 2012

> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, the SwitchYard tools are parented through SwitchYard (code style and other settings), so parenting from JBT parent was not a viable option.

I really think this complete tie in of plugins to their "sister" runtime is a bad bad thing. Runtime development has very little in common with how eclipse tooling is developed and structured
and tying the tooling to specific versions of the runtime is much more hurtful over time IMO.

Could you tell us what things it is that is missing or is too much in JBoss Tools parent that prevents it from being used ? Would like to get it trimmed down to be something most if not all eclipse tools could use; either directly or via a simple github fork that could be easily cherrypicked from.

Things like code style and "other settings" is anyway 98% the same across jboss projects so maybe its time we get some of that applied in jboss eclipse codebase overall too ?

> That said, it seems that it's very bad form that this dialog behaves this way.  It blocks the entire workspace for a simple yes/no to usage collection.  That seems like a misuse of a modal dialog to me.

Alternative suggestions welcome - its required by legal and we did not want the monster dialog eclipse UDC pops up nor did we want the time delayed for example Atlassian's feedback dialog has.

/max