[jbosstools-dev] Freemarker functionality in Eclipse?

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 10:45:03 EDT 2012

Hey Max,

----- Original Message -----
> > Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, the SwitchYard tools are
> > parented through SwitchYard (code style and other settings), so
> > parenting from JBT parent was not a viable option.
>
> I really think this complete tie in of plugins to their "sister"
> runtime is a bad bad thing. Runtime development has very little in
> common with how eclipse tooling is developed and structured
> and tying the tooling to specific versions of the runtime is much
> more hurtful over time IMO.

Sure.

> Could you tell us what things it is that is missing or is too much in
> JBoss Tools parent that prevents it from being used ? Would like to
> get it trimmed down to be something most if not all eclipse tools
> could use; either directly or via a simple github fork that could be
> easily cherrypicked from.

I think it's fine the way it is.  I've had to add additional repositories, but I suspect those will get merged into JBT target platform at some point (specifically, BPMN2 editor and some of its dependencies).

> Things like code style and "other settings" is anyway 98% the same
> across jboss projects so maybe its time we get some of that applied
> in jboss eclipse codebase overall too ?

A good idea, but it may be a tough task requiring a lot of code modifications to get conformance.

> > That said, it seems that it's very bad form that this dialog
> > behaves this way.  It blocks the entire workspace for a simple
> > yes/no to usage collection.  That seems like a misuse of a modal
> > dialog to me.
>
> Alternative suggestions welcome - its required by legal and we did
> not want the monster dialog eclipse UDC pops up nor did we want the
> time delayed for example Atlassian's feedback dialog has.

Is it possible to simply change the modality?  I think part of the problem is that this blocks the entire application (e.g. jdt initialization).