[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: Proposed new package structure

jason.greene@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 6 11:11:57 EST 2006

Lest look at the actual real problem, which is the need for a legacy jsr181 implementation.  We could even have this legacy implementation in the trunk codebase if desired, but disabled. This can be achieved by simply having a metadata builder that exists in the branch that does not exist in trunk. If we want 1 codebase, all that is needed is to sync trunk with the jbossws-1.0 branch and whenever a change is made it is committed to trunk first, and then after committed to the 1.0 branch. The code bases would be virtually identical, and by merging in this order we guarantee that 1.0 specific stuff remains.

The contract between what you call core, and what you call tools is NOT static, but rather changes significantly. In fact, it is a work in progress. For an example take a look at WSDLMetaData, this is by no means complete or fully accurate, and if we solidify this to some kind of API, we are only going to make things more difficult by having to guarantee backwards compatibility across any particular branch of core.

I only see this effort as creating more work for us, and I don't see how it helps achieve any of the outstanding project goals.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3991691#3991691

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3991691