[jbossws-dev] [Design of JBoss Web Services] - Re: [Productivity] Level 1 - Start from scratch

alessio.soldano@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 13 09:52:54 EST 2007

Hi Max,
thanks for the time spent in reading these threads.

"max.andersen at jboss.com" wrote : 0) I am not a big WS guy - I've found WS to be to clunky to be bothered with; mainly because even with tooling WS is an XML hell and waaay to compliated (I know the annotated way make this more managable but annotation solutions didn't exist when I had to bother with web services ;) - Just know that when I in the future ask some stupid WS beginner question or assume too much or too litle about WS. It's almost the opposite for me, never worked at plugin development before.

anonymous wrote :
  | 1) The only WS tooling we have right now in RHDS is what comes with Eclipse WTP (and that is mainly axis biased)
  |
  | 2) We *want* to get SoapUI back into the JBossTools build again - once when we get over the release hurdle of JBossTools/RHDS GA this will be a priority
OK, these are 2 important things, thanks for stating them clearly.
In particular I also think it will be really good to have the SoapUI plugin back in the build again; I expect this integration to give JBossTools the same functions RHDS has from the WTP Eclipse, but based on JBossWS instead of Axis.

anonymous wrote :
  | 3) Be aware that just because something is in JBoss Tools does not mean it will show up in RHDS
Does this simply means that things from JBossTools are not automatically coded into RHDS too, but they require additional work and this depends on strategic decisions about RHDS features, or I am missing something else?

anonymous wrote :
  | 4) Looking into how you can integrate your docs/samples with Eclipse Cheatsheets would be very interesting
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll think about this too.

anonymous wrote :
  | 5) Providing Ant or Maven kind of samples is good - neither of these exclude good JBoss Tools support as long as they are done correctly
  |
  | 6) We/you shouldn't just go out and create an isolated WS-way of creating sample/projects - look into how the eclipse best support it...just using Eclipse as an glorified text editor to calling ant isn't really adding value ;)
I agree with you, Ant based samples and JBoss Tools / Eclipse support do not exclude each other and I believe providing both is the right things to do. In particular on point 6, I think I get the overall idea that is, of course, let's leverage what Eclipse is beyond a powerful text editor to provide ws added value. May be we might go a bit further into details on this in future..

anonymous wrote : 7) We need someone who knows about WS to build proper WS support into tooling....preferably someone who likes to do both WS and write plugins ;)
I understand what you mean. After and apart having SoapUi back, further WS tooling efforts will of course require our contribution.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4104150#4104150

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4104150