[jbossws-dev] Moving to SPI 3 M1

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 12:31:11 EDT 2008

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Of course I could use a hand, but I think it's better to run a couple of
"proposition/feedback/next proposition" cycles and keep the
responsibility in one hand until we reach a certain level of content.

But regarding your questions:

* WebServiceRuntime: Fine with me.

* DeploymentAspectManager: We could keep that internal to the
WebServiceRuntime, but this would lead to arbitrary internal
implementations of different runtimes. I'd more likely enforce
the pattern across all WebServiceRuntimes by making it part of the SPI.
IMO a runtime used within the ESB should look the same then one that's
used in embedded mode.

But actually there is a little more to it: That "chain of
responsibility" pattern the DeploymentAspectManager represents, models a
clear extension point. People grasp it and it enables injection of
arbitrary extension points. I do actually consider features like this
part of an API.

* DeploymentModel: We can have convenience methods above the
DeploymentModel, i.e. simple usage of Endpoints, but at the lowest part
of the SPI it should be precise. IMO there is always
Deployment->Service->Endpoints.

/Heiko