[jbossws-dev] Re: Web Service Stack for EAP 5

Mark Little mlittle at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 08:57:04 EDT 2008

The native stack is definitely the quickest way to achieve what we
need now: which is what is on Thomas' wiki page that he sent round
earlier. But it's not the way to go in the future. We have neither the
time nor the resources to track everything that will need to be done
over the next couple of years. And why should we when there are good
community implementations like Metro and CXF that we could leverage
instead? We'd need to get involved with them of course. But why should
we be implementing our own stack now? There are no go business or
technical reasons for it. the SOAP stack is the glue. The added value
has always been what is glued, rather than the glue itself. JEE has a
strong requirement for CORBA, but you don't see us implementing our
own ORB: we take JacORB. Why should Web Services be any different?

Mark.

On 19 Mar 2008, at 12:46, Heiko Braun wrote:

> Good point.
> 'Quick' is a question of what we need to achieve in terms of
> product requirements. The 'price' we pay is something that's hard to
> determine. But certainly you'd have to consider maintainability of the
> code base as well.
>
> It might as well be that the native stack is both the quickest and the
> most maintainable way to achieve our goals.
>
> So, let's start talking about facts.
> What do the JBoss products require?
>

> /Heiko
>
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:40 +0000, Mark Little wrote:
>>
>> We'd definitely get there quicker. But not "for free" ;-)

----
Mark Little
mlittle at redhat.com

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt
Parsons (USA) and Brendan Lane (Ireland).