[jbossws-dev] New configuration options proposal

Alessio Soldano asoldano at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 11:02:19 EDT 2014

Folks,
I've been chatting with users and thinking a bit about the
client/endpoint descriptor-based configuration options we currently
offer in JBossWS. Looks like there's room for improvement, mainly to
allow setting stuff that is currently controlled through JBossWS /
Apache CXF APIs only. Hence, here is a proposal for few additions,
please have a look and let me know any comment.

* New client descriptor
Currently we do have the jboss-webservices.xml descriptor on server
side; it allows setting options for endpoints included in the
deployment. For example, we can have properties specified in there,
which can affect the pre-defined endpoint config selection, some Apache
CXF features (policy alernative selection, just to say one), etc.
We don't have a corresponding client descriptor though. We could have a
default descriptor (say, jboss-webservices-client.xml) to be looked up
through TCCL when building JAX-WS client services. That would allow
setting properties for the specific client instead of at system/jvm
level; we already have properties for getting a specific pre-defined
client configuration, for controlling cxf bus selection, etc.

* Addition to the jboss-webservices.xml schema
In jboss-webservices.xml we currently allow setting deployment level
properties. We should evaluate setting properties also at endpoint/port
level, basically within the port-component section.

* Apache CXF interceptors setup through properties
Speaking of properties, currently specified in jboss-webservices.xml and
possibly in jboss-webservices-client.xml, we could start supporting two
additional props:
* org.apache.cxf.interceptor.InInterceptors, with the value string to be
parsed for getting a list of in-interceptor classnames; basically to
achieve the same we get with @InInterceptor
* org.apache.cxf.interceptor.OutInterceptors, with the value string to
be parsed for getting a list of out-interceptor classnames; basically to
achieve the same we get with @OutInterceptor
The interceptors would be attached either to the bus or to the
client/endpoint depending on where the property is declared.

Please provide feedback, so that we can possibly create jiras and
implement the relevant new features.

Cheers
Alessio

--